Last updated 20th November 2017
This guide will show you how to deploy an automatic pool of Linked Clone machines.
In order to be used as a reference point for creating a virtual desktop pool, a virtual machine (VM) template must be created in accordance with the following specifications:
- It must be based on a compatible OS: Operating systems compatible with Horizon Agent;
- Install the required software to deploy to the pool;
- Configure the network card addressing in DHCP;
- Associate the VM template to the destination network of the pool (portgroup or VLAN);
- install the VMware Horizon 7 Agent.
Once the template has been created, you will need to create a snapshot (with the virtual machine turned off) that will serve as an immutable reference point.
You will also need to create a customisation template (sysprep).
Import a virtual machine (VM) template
It is possible to create or import VM templates, fully or partially configured on the Private Cloud that is associated to your VMware Horizon 7 infrastructure:
To do this, guides are available:
- Creating a VM from an ISO image: Deploying a virtual machine;
- Creating a VM from an OVH template: Deploying an OVH template;
- Importing via OVFtool: OVFtool.
Associate the template to the destination network of the pool
In order for virtual desktops to deploy properly and be reachable by users, it is important to configure the VM template on the correct virtual network. This network is sent in the delivery email ("DHCP Network") and is represented by a
dvportgroup on the vSphere interface.
To associate the VM template and the pool network, you need to do the following:
- Right-click on the VM and choose
- Select the device corresponding to the network interface;
- In the
Network Connectionsection, select the
Network labelindicated in the delivery email DHCP Network (see image below).
If an additional network, isolated from the existing one, is needed, you can deploy a new access point with a dedicated network. Creating a new access point.
Install the VMware Horizon 7 Agent
Users of the HaaS solution can download the installation files for the Horizon agent here: https://files.horizonaas.com/.
Double-click the Horizon Agent installation file, and then follow the installation process:
- Accept the VMware licence terms;
Install VMware Horizon Agentin
My Computer Mode;
- Choose the IPv4 protocol;
- Select the installation options (the default options are a good starting point);
- Do not activate the RDP when prompted;
- Accept or change the destination folder;
- Finalise the installation.
If you want to find out more about installing the Horizon 7 Agent on a virtual machine: Install Horizon Agent on a virtual machine
Creating the reference snapshot
To rely on an immutable state of the VM that will serve as a template for the pool, VMware Horizon relies on a snapshot. This way, the operations that could then be performed on the template will not directly affect the virtual desktop content.
- On the vSphere client interface (in this case the web version), select the VM template and then the action menu. Finally, click
- Give your snapshot a title (in this case a version number) and a description:
Now that the template has been created, you can start creating a pool.
Join our user community on https://www.ovh.co.uk/community/.