To change the ownder of a .uk domain name or similar, make sure that it meets the following prerequisites:
- Your domain must not be suspended
- Your domain must not be involved with any ongoing disputes with Nominet
- Your domain must not be blocked by OVH
- You must have access to the domain name owner's email address.
Connection to Nominet
- In order to make amendments to the owner, connect to the Nominet registry: https://secure.nominet.org.uk/account/intro.html
Example 1 - You have a Nominet account
- If you already have a Nominet account, click on the "LOG IN TO MY ACCOUNT" button.
- Specify the owner's email address and password.
- Then click "LOG IN".
Example 2 - You do not have a Nominet account
- If you have never never created an account with Nominet, click on the "COMPLETE YOUR ACCOUNT SETUP button.
- Then enter the email address belonging to the owner of the domain.
- Click on "SUBMIT".
- You will then get an email to this address with the link letting your set a password.
The link sent in the email is only valid for 24 hours
- Then enter a password, and confirm it.
- Then click SET PASSWORD.
- You will then see a confirmation message.
- Once you are in the Nominet interface, tick the box in front of your domain and click on "TRANSFER DOMAIN".
- At this stage, you can see whether or not you need to pay Nominet £10 in order to change the owner.
- Then enter the future owner's e-mail address
- You then have to choose who will make the payment (the current, or future owner).
- You also have to tick the box to confirm that you are the current owner, and that you wish to change the owner, then click on "PROCEED TO INVOICE ADDRESS.
- Next enter the name which appears in the bill, as well as the email address where it will be sent to.
- Choose a previously registered or newbilling address, and then click "PROCEED TO PAYMENT DETAIL".
- You will then be able to view a summary of your order.
- You just have to specify your bank card for the payment.
- Then choose the postal address linked to your bank card, and click SUBMIT TRANSFER REQUEST".
- Following this an email will be sent to the new owner's email address so that they can accept the procedure, within 5 days.
- The owner will also be able to request a transfer to another registrar when they validate the procedure, at no extra cost.
There might be a spelling mistake in the owner's name. In this case, you do not need to change the owner, just make a correction.
- Once you are on the Nominet interface, click on the arrow to the right of your domain.
- In the "Registrant" tab, click on "EDIT".
Fill in the boxes below:
- Registrant: Enter the correct name of the owner
- Tick the box to confirm that the information entered is correct.
- Registrant type: The legal form
- Whois service: Tick this box if you want to hide your personal details in the domain's whois
Then click "UPDATE DETAILS" to confirm the change of owner.
- A confirmation message will indicate that the owner information has been updated.
- You can update the owner's name to correct spelling mistakes or errors. However you cannot change the owner using this procedure.
- Your corrections will then be examined by a Nominet member of staff.
Following this you will be sent an email to confirm that the corrections have been accepted, or to request further information.